Legacy Church is an out-growth of the former Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church.
This Church was first known as First Evangelical United Brethren.
Later the name was changed to First United Methodist.
The plans to build an addition to the old Church building were abandoned and the decision was made to find a new location and build a completely new building.
On April 3, 1955, ground was broken and the cornerstone was laid on September 18, 1955.
This Church building was dedicated on July 29, 1956.
On the day of Dedication, many members walked from the old Church on 7th Street to the new Church on 11th Street. There are over 20 members of Legacy Church today that came from the old Church building.
January 1st, 2010, the name was changed from First United Methodist to Legacy United Methodist.
Did You Know??
In 1908, the first pastor of the Evangelical Church, (now Legacy United Methodist Church), Rev. W. C. Menges and his assistant, Rev. E. Oeder, entertained the hope that something would present itself where they could be a real service to the area. Their dream came into being when they met two young doctors who came to Bismarck. These doctors told the young ministers that a Protestant Hospital would be a real asset to the community.
One of the doctors went to the Dakotas Conference (which met in Aberdeen, SD). It was voted on in favor of the plan. Bonds were sold to lay members and the project got under way. Nov. 14, 1908, the corner stone was laid, and Feb. 2, 1909, the hospital doors opened for patients. The hospital went under the name of Bismarck Evangelical Hospital and is still serving a healing ministry to many.
Today this Hospital is known as Medcenter One.